GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dropping in songz...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tranzforma

Almost a Clubber

Vibes: 0.00

Member #: 387

Post Post subject: Dropping in songz... Reply with quote

Just outta curiosity, would anyone here know anything about DJ mixing? Ya know when you beatmatch the songz...do you know when good timez are to drop in the next song to mix? I mean yeah, beatmatch ok~ But after, you gotta figure out where to drop the song in to mix to the next...understand? Probably not eh? Well, I just wanna figure out how to make my mixes smoother...like ya know, sometimes, when you drop in songz at certain timez, both break downs come at the right time and thingz go perfect~ Or does this go just by playing the song over and over and dropping different spots till you get the spot you want? Or is there a way songz are produced that'll letcha know when itz time to pull out? Anyone know? =)
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:48 am
Finne
Phynn
DJ's Assistant

Vibes: 7.53

Member #: 1,998

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I do it. Most of the tracks have a melody that comes in for the second time. This will last about 16 bars. At the end of it you will hear a snare roll or a similar-buildup. That's when I release track B. Then listen through your headphones if it's running at the same time as Track A. If it is, you can slightly increase the volume of Track B (at this time its handy to use the EQ's). When you feel that a next buildup is coming (usually a snare roll after 16 bars), punch in the bass/volume of Track B. Be sure to kill some bass of Track A, we don't want any basskick clashing. Now when Track B is noticable dominant to Track A, I usually start decreasing the treble and some volume of Track A. Now it's up to you to decide how you want to fade out. Just try experimenting a couple of time. Good luck!
4. Bedrock - Emerald
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:23 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
docsavage

Almost a Clubber

Member #: 2,196

I've found that most producers leave a minute of 'mix in' time and a minute of 'mix out' time to their tracks. These are periods of time in the track at the beginning and end where there's practically nothing going on but the very basics of the tune. I almost always mix using this simple reference, since there's less there to clash with.

Hope that helps
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:31 am
Finne
Phynn
DJ's Assistant

Vibes: 7.53

Member #: 1,998

I try to mix it so that when Track A is going into final breakdown, the bass of Track B comes in. Right after that 'mix in' thingy you described.
4. Bedrock - Emerald
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
docsavage

Almost a Clubber

Member #: 2,196

Yeah, forgot to mention the important fact that when Track A hits ~1 minute left, start track B. Usually around 30 seconds, Track A's melody/bassline/whatever peters off, just as track B's is coming in.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:49 pm
Ami

i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 5.14

Member #: 1,823
Location: tending to my rose garden on the other side of the moon

hehe, you seen stevens tutorials?
http://www.ivibes.nu/index.php?show=Tutorial
theres alot of stuff in there bout mixing, just in case if you've missed them

hehe, more often than not, perfecting any musical skill, mixing an all, is down to practicing and experimenting. just keep at it, and it should become instinct/second nature, like that stuff you wanted to know bout the timing and stuff,

try anything and see how it works, learn from your mistakes and if your stuck, or want more answers you can always try asking on this board,

swirled away.....
Abandoning Friends,
Abandoning Humanity,
What awaits us all
Is the path to emptiness.
Knowing my heart
The flowers weep,
And the wild Birds cry.

-------------------------------

ha en trevlig dag
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:43 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: