GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
SLS020 w/ guest MAURO PICOTTO (9.21)-SenseGenerate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ Eco
Marcello

Vibes: 0.50

Member #: 7,964

Post Post subject: SLS020 w/ guest MAURO PICOTTO (9.21)-SenseGenerate Reply with quote

Due to technical difficulties, Judge Jules will not be able to guest on my show this week, however, next week's guest Mauro agreed to fill in....Get ready this upcoming Wednesday for one of the top DJs in the world, voted #11 in the world. Mauro Picotto.... does that ring a bell? Sure it does, as he is one of the most known and sought after techno DJs hailing from Italia. You will not want to miss this star-studded Wednesday night on http://www.sensegenerate.fm from 9-11PM (ET)/8-10PM (CST)

STROBE LIFE SESSIONS 020: guest MAURO PICOTTO (IT)

Born in the small Italian town of Cavour, near Turin, Picotto was raised in a family of stonemasons and dancers. His father ran a mason’s yard called CRW, a name Mauro would later use as a moniker for one of his biggest records.

Picotto longed to start making his own productions, but felt that to be successful he must first become a DJ and learn exactly what people wanted to hear in a record. After winning the Walky Cup competition on national TV, an event for the top DMC djs in Italy, a chance meeting with Daniele Davoli, there to promote his Black Box single ‘Ride On Time’, led Picotto to really throw himself into music production. His first track ‘We Gonna Get’, produced under the name RAF, became a Top Twenty across much of Europe and Picotto had well and truly caught the bug.

Another RAF release followed, alongside remixes and co-writing credits for the likes of Club House, Capella and the 49ERS. Soon the time was right to release a track under his own name and the resulting record, ‘Bakerloo Symphony’, ended up being Number 1 in Italy for eight weeks. Also in 1996 Mauro became a partner in Media Records alongside Gianfranco Bortolotti.

1998 saw him make his bid for UK stardom, with the release of the inescapable Gatecrasher anthem ‘Lizard’ – a record that, for many, summed up the hegemony of the emerging trance sound. The track ended up being a Top 30 hit and was followedby two further instalments in the reptilian trilogy ‘Iguana’ and ‘Komodo.’
Komodo notched Picotto another chart hit, entering at Number 11, as well as a performance on Top Of The Pops. Mauro was the first DJ to ever play live on the show.

Further Top Tens followed, including ‘I Feel Love’, under the moniker CRW and ‘Communication’, recorded alongside his friend and fellow countryman Mario Piu. The track sampled a mobile phone ring tone and became an omnipresent summer anthem. Furthermore it was Picotto’s remix which propelled York’s Balearic trancer ‘On The Beach’ to Number 1 when it was selected by the record company to be used as the radio edit.

Two artist albums, ‘The Double Album’ and ‘’The Others’, came next, in 2000 and 2002 respectively, as well as remixes and productions for the likes Freddie Mercury, Jimmy Sommerville, Pet Shop Boys and U2. Unfortunately it didn’t take long for other producers to start to cash in on the Picotto sound and soon everybody was apeing his tough, uncompromising style. Having paid his dues, and notching up a string of hits, it was time for Picotto’s metamorphosis from trance star to techno superhero to begin.

“I used to play 6-hr sets at Gatecrasher,” Mauro explains. “But I began to grow up and the generation of people I was playing to was growing up with me. I began to make the transition into techno because it felt right and I loved the music.
It wasn’t like I suddenly said, ‘ Right, now I’m going to play techno.’ I just like good music and I’m proud that, as well as creating new fans, I’ve brought a lot of my old fans with me and opened them up to a new style of music.”

On top of the estimated 250 tracks that he’s made to date, Mauro also leads the DJ pack when it comes to his globetrotting schedule. One minute he’s spinning to a packed out 45,000-seater football stadium in Amsterdam and the next he’s playing to 18,000 in the middle of the Amazonian jungle at seven in the morning, with parrots flying overhead.

After leaving Media Records in 2002, Picotto formed Bakerloo Music, as well as a new label Alchemy, releasing a slew of massive club tracks, including ‘New Time New Place’ and the ‘Alchemy EP.’ That same year he launched his Meganite party at the Miami Winter Music conference and tickets instantly became must-haves for the assembled danceratti.

Building on the concept he had honed in Miami, Picotto took Meganite to Ibiza in 2004, transforming the cavernous Privilege into an intimate techno paradise for those who like their music raw, tough and undiluted. The night became one of the most successful debut parties on the island.

This year Picotto returns to repeat the mellifluous mayhem every Wednesday from July 6th – September 14th, joined behind the decks by a who’s who of party starters including the likes of fellow resident Chris Liebing, Misstress Barbara, Fergie, Adam Beyer and Marco Carola. He’s also gearing up for the release of a new Meganite compilation and his third artist album, simply entitled ‘Mauro Picotto’ which will feature two CDs and a DVD. The first CD will be Mauro’s club material, including a collaboration with Fergie, which samples the classic track ‘Funky Town.’ The second CD will come as a surprise to some people with more downtempo and some pop songs, as well as some chill out material.

And beyond this summer? In 2006 Mauro is planning to do a few really big parties in the UK, with him playing a night long set including all his old classics, as well as his new material.

TO LISTEN, GO TO http://66.54.67.131:8714/listen.pls
FOR MORE INFO ON MAURO PICOTTO, GO TO
http://www.mauropicotto.com

As always, there will be a replay Friday for the European audience on SenseGenerate from 4-6PM (GST)

Last edited by DJ Eco on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ Eco
Marcello

Vibes: 0.50

Member #: 7,964

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be comps and booth passes given away to his next appearance at SPIRIT (NYC).... email strobelifeproductions@gmail.com during the show, and 2 comp winners and 3 booth pass winners will be randomly selected
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Radio Broadcasts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: