GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to get started? Equipment...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin

Vibes: 0.00

Member #: 2,641

Post Post subject: How to get started? Equipment... Reply with quote

---> moved to DJ's & Producers Section

Hey. Whats happenin?

This is my first post at this board. Very Happy I read all of the learning tutorials and i was just have a few questions with regards to equipment.

A week ago I was at a big rave/party thing called summer love. Anyways one of the best sets i heard was one put on by KYLE JOYGAZM. So I went up to him after his set and started talkin to him. I asked him how he started and what the best way to start is.

Heres what he told me:

-Go down to value village and buy tables and a switcher or something (he didnt say mixer). Then go to a used record store (he gave me the name) and get cheap records there. He told me that once I was set up I could email him and he would teach me how to spin and mix. (What an oppertunity!) I asked him why value village and he said " Just start off cheap because it may not be what you want to do."-

So what do you guys think about this? Would you be able to spin using tables from value village (granny tables?)? What about if you modified them a bit? I have never tried any sort of djing but love dance music (trance, house electronica) and have an ear for it and have always wanted to be a DJ!

I didn't hear what he said about a mixer either. What would I do about that?

My ultamite goal is to spin in some clubs. Maybe make a little pocket change through school. So which would be better? TO dJ with vinyl or mp3's? Mp3's are cheaper to burn but why do all good dj's use vinyl?

Remember I am also in school now (1st year college) so I dont havea ton of cash to drop.

Whats the best way (equipment wise) to get started guys? i want to start!!!

Sean G - a.k.a RONIN
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:41 pm
Ronin

Vibes: 0.00

Member #: 2,641

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:46 pm
Finne
Phynn
DJ's Assistant

Vibes: 7.53

Member #: 1,998

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I started out, I bought cheap decks. ALWAYS BUY DIRECT DRIVE! Never go for belt-driven, they suck. I bought 2x Soundlab DLP-32S. These are one of the cheapest Direct Drive decks around, but they do their job very well if you are just a beginner. These decks cost 200 euro's a piece new.

As for the mixer. I suggest you buy a 3 channel mixer with EQ per channel (that means LOW-MID-HIGH knobs). I bought a mixer without EQ per channel, and I had to upgrade within 6 months. Check out the numark DM series mixer. They are good for beginners, and not too expensive.

If you get the hang of it and like DJ'ing, you'll want to upgrade your decks later on. Don't upgrade to medium priced/class decks. If you upgrade your decks, go all the way! (Technics/Vestax) You'll regret it later if you don't..

If you have a stereo-system, you can hook your mixer on it. If not, you need an amplifier & some monitors (speakers). You can get more info on this from your local electro-store employee Wink

And offcourse you need some vinyl. If I were you I'd buy 2 of the same records ar first, to get handy in beatmatching/transitions.

I wrote this assuming you want to spin with vinyl. I don't really have experience with cd's, maybe anyone else in here has?

This is a good site for more information, it has been really helpful for me: http://www.recess.co.uk

Good luck!

4. Bedrock - Emerald
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: