GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hardware vs Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 230.33

Member #: 3,192

Post Post subject: Hardware vs Software Reply with quote

I've read that pretty soon producers won't be using hard equipment and instead mostly use software. Actually Tiesto said that you can do tons of stuff on software, so pretty soon hardwear will not be used.
What do you think?
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:37 pm
Spherix
Erik
i:Vibes Crew

Vibes: 145.72

Member #: 2,831

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm what to say =) It's good for some ppl cause hardware equipment take huge space but I don't think that hardware equipment will be toally dissed... Rolling Eyes
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:39 am
Ami

i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 5.14

Member #: 1,823
Location: tending to my rose garden on the other side of the moon

i'll add to this somehow even though, i havent made any music, or even really attempted to do, guess ive still trying to get my headdown just trying to experince, learn and get my feet on the ground trance music wise, heehee

i remeber back when i first came on here, and tried to hang arround getting tips and when i first joined the irc channel, all was well, i was learning, never really gave much thought about how it was produced, until i was in an irc chat session with Slide, one half of Cass and Slide! and one of the questions by someone to Pete was

"what do you think of VA these days?" and the answer from pete was
"not bad although the techno purists prefer pure analogue rather than VA"

or summat along those lines pretty much, im amazed i can rememeber that line out of a whole bunch of questions this time last year!

anyways it got me thinking, what the hell was they on about, VA, to my mind only meant Various Artists, and in this case it did not make any sense, so i went and asked a few people, who immediatly thought i was insane asking what VA meant, heh,

so i went to the king of all search engines, google typed in VA, got nowhere, hmm, add analogue, still pretty much zip, add purists and the essential word Trance, whee, i got a hit to a synthsizer, Nord Lead, did a quick run through, read all about Virtual Analogue, which is using Digital Signal Processors to simulate an Analogue signal, and how Clavia pretty much invented VA and its legendary Nord Lead

In addition they have a product Nord Modular, a lil box of electronic goodies that you have hooked up to your pc, that you can run with a program on your pc, and modify and create wavforms, effects and various other signal and sound properties, upload to the box and then let the hardware do its work, and you can go on forever pretty much tweaking and playing arround

then i find other VA synthesizers, jp8000/8080, Nord Lead 2 & 3, the Virus B or C or whatever Razz , usually these are found in pretty much every trance artists synthsizer's diet, then while i had google open quickly checked out similar concepts for other hardware, and i came across a soundcard that has dsp chips creamware that also works in principle, and a few others, all working with software.

if theres one thing i learned then is that even with the advent of software pretty much its more evident that both will be used in conjuction with each other, tradionally its been the case that hardware = blazing fast, but specialized at a particular set of tasks, where as software its been more flexibilty but the cost of generalisation is often the sacrifice of ultimate speed, so you cant exactly pick one and have the best of both worlds,

besides you really think all them artists and producers would be satisfied with a laptop and whole bunch of software, rather than have an impressive set of hardware, nothing like showing your freinds your rows and rows of hardware goodness Smile

oh dont forget the obligatory multi thousand pound ProTools set up! heehee,

seriously after all they are human, and they have deserved to get rewarded for all there hard work, and its nice to see the artist putting some of the money back into new and better equipment so that they can learn and better themselves, so that the next time arround we get an even better experince through their music! Very Happy

swirled away.....
Abandoning Friends,
Abandoning Humanity,
What awaits us all
Is the path to emptiness.
Knowing my heart
The flowers weep,
And the wild Birds cry.

-------------------------------

ha en trevlig dag
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:01 am
trancenrg69
Raffix

Vibes: 0.00

Member #: 3,896

For a producer starting out, software is probably a better idea because it's much cheaper. Synths like the access virus c can empty your bank account very quickly. As for production value, software synths can produce hardware type sounds with a bit of work. Some tweaking and added effects can generate incredible results. Hardware synths require less work to get those killer sounds. You can produce pro quality music with software, but alot depends on the sound card you have, your mixing skills, and the effect plugins you.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:48 pm
Dj Traxxlover
David Lau
Bar Staff

Vibes: 25.46

Member #: 3,577

as a trance producer myself i think hardware's still perferred by most people

hardware makes killer sounds while with software its ok but still too "preset"

with Fruity, Reason and Cubase you can make a standard or high quality trance (i can make a ok track within 2 hrs) maybe dats y more n more people use them coz they r free n easy to use

but to me they r good for patterning sequences and adding sound effects
a real dj should have hardware as well...think about if u get famous 1 day with a software made song how u gonna perforamce live? obviously u cant sit on a pc n move around the mouse infront of audience..

i'm saving money now n getting more hardware Razz
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:03 am
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 230.33

Member #: 3,192

One thing for handware- it looks more impressive to show off! Laughing
If you say "Here's my studio" and point to a computer, people aren't as impressed...
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:53 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: